Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thing 32: Google Map-O-Saurus

It's been a long time since I did one of these. I basically lost track of where I was on everything so I'm just gonna call it good on the previous entries and move on. To GOOGLE MAPS!

Google kinda creeps me out some. I mean maps are cool and all but it freaked me out being able to walk around in the street view of Downtown Fargo and it was JUST LIKE BEIN' THERE. Except sometimes it switches from day to night real rapidly because they took the pictures at different times. But anyway, still crazy, or maybe creepy.

So I made a pretty basic map of how to get from my apartment to the library:
Check it out

It was very easy to do. I could see this being pretty useful. I'm thinking of some kind of citywide event, where there are different exhibits or demonstrations all over town, and the website has a link to google maps with all the points bulleted. Or, obviously, just having a link on the library website to show where we're located. I'm wondering now if there's a browser add-on somewhere that lets you click on any address in a browser window and have it look it up on google maps? They have one of that kind of thing for phone numbers and skype. Although it may be a little more difficult to distinguish an address. In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to make the address on the Moorhead LARL website a link to a google map showing its location.

I'd like to see a community-wide map of the city, where everyone can label their house to add information if they want to. Or you can label the exact spot where you think you lost your gloves. Then others can check the spot where THEY found some gloves and see if anyone labeled it? Or you could label like "This is where I saw the gorgeous redhead filling up her car's gas tank last Tuesday". And then if SHE'S looking for you too, she could totally see that and look you up somehow. Community billboard sounds awesome!

0 angry letters: