Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thing 41 - Mashup your Life

Now THIS I am in favor of! I spend a lot of time on facebook and a lot of time on Twitter, so putting them together seems like a pretty boss idea.

Naturally, however, I have some stuff to complain about.

The problem here is that Lifestream.fm (or friendfeed if I had chosen to use that) require you to subscribe to other people THROUGH their website. I understand the need to get people to sign up for your website, and requiring someone o use the service in order for people to be able to follow them does that, but it sucks in that it's not ever going to be the same as facebook. It's never going to have the same amount of press or the same amount of people on there, so unfortunately you're only going to get a few people. Same with twitter, everyone I follow would have to add LivingSocial and then I'd have to resubscribe to them.

What I WANT is an application that gives me all the twitter updates AND all my facebook stuff. And I have last.fm on LivingSocial as well, so if that could be part of the deal too, it'd be great. Of course, facebook applications give a pretty close approximation of what i just described, but because facebook just opens their code up to third party stuff, the interface isn't all that great and it's certainly not consolidated into what you'd consider one website. It basically just opens the other website up in a new window, which gets them an A for effort but no so much for effect.

I guess as Mashups become more common and implemented I might see what I want. An RSS feed type LivingSocial facebook mashup. That would be righteous. Then I could have a last.fm/pandora/youtube mashup thing on THAT website and I'd rarely have to leave!

Except somethingawful.com and my blogs, and google. But surely a COUPLE extra websites would be ok.

0 angry letters: