Friday, May 15, 2009

Thing 47 - Stay Cool, things on a stick

Obviously I had my share of ire over all of this. I still hate web 2.0 and the way everyone uses it. But I did get used to a few more websites that I needed to learn about, and I think I do have a better understanding of the modern internet and how people use it. I forget that it's not just nerds on the internet anymore, so a lot of the rules have changed.

I do think it's at least good that there's an increased focus on shared content on some websites. Or at least, there's more media coverage of the increased focus on shared content. That way, for every hundred or so useless websites, or ones with a good idea but terrible execution, there will be a brilliant one that changes the way we look at information and technology.

I hope I can help people somehow with all that I've learned here. I doubt the ability to directly influence the patrons that come in by telling them about these websites, because we don't really have that kind of connection with them when they're on the computer - I feel it would be invasive to ask what they were doing online and recommend things to them. However, any increase in our understanding of online systems will have their applications in the future. After all, computers are just going to become more and more important as time goes by. That's not up for debate. The more I know, the better.

0 angry letters: