Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thing 43: Online TV and Video

I don't have TV at home, so I could see this being pretty cool. I've watched a few shows on youtube and stuff like that, but I don't watch that many new shows so I'm unsure of how Hulu will be. It does have The Office and 30 Rock, which I like. And there are some episodes of the Simpsons, which is fun but it's not nearly as good as it used to be. But I got an account and put a bunch of stuff on queue, so I'll see how this goes. With summer coming I got a lotta time to waste (As if I didn't have enough stuff from the library already).

I guess a lot of the things I said about internet radio can apply to internet TV too, but comparing the two isn't exactly the same. For one thing, it's relatively cheap to buy instruments and recording equipment and form a band you intend to promote yourself. However, the cost of an ongoing television program is astonomically beyond the normal person's reach, so any ongoing show produced and released independently will simply not have the kind of resources a sponsored network show has. This isn't to say that independent shows can't fill a kind of niche and reach a certain audience, but it's definitely a consideration.

I know a lot of people that come into our library use hulu and other TV services, so now that I know a little more about it I can help them out if they ask. Which is cool! The movies on the site seem a little more lacking, but I bet those are harder to license.

0 angry letters: