Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thing 45 - Cloud Computing

Seriously?

In Web 1.0 we called this "e-mailing something to yourself so you could print it off somewhere else later". Now, of course, we have the wonderful advent of Web 2.0, and websites that do things you could already do, but much more smugly.

I guess I like the idea of being able to backup your ENTIRE hard drive remotely, but it seems unnecessary for a couple reasons.

1. A LOT of of the space on your hard drive is taken up by your operating system. So paying a bunch of money to back up Windows Vista, which you'd get a new copy of when you bought a new computer anyway, is stupid.
2. What's going to happen to your computer that you suddenly can't get to any of the applications or documents to save them on a hard drive or external hard drive? I guess it could blow up. Spending a bunch of money monthly to protect against this seems like it'd give the people from thing 44 a conniption, though.

So yeah I'm not gonna be signing up for any off these companies. I don't need them and they're stupid. I will continue to e-mail things to myself, which is very easy and very free.

0 angry letters: