Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thing 28: iGoogle

This one isn't nearly as much of a mystery to me, as I'm pretty familiar with customized home pages from the past. I actually used an iGoogle in the past but didn't care for it, but as long as we're required to do this for the program I may as well throw myself into it. So here we go!

First, I cut out a lot off the gimmicky gadgets I put on there a couple years ago. They get old prrrrretty fast and then they just take up a lot of room looking dumb. So comics and Pac-Man went away, along with the 7 or so new sources I had on there because, let's be honest, I'm not gonna read all that. Sorry.

I kept weather, movie times, gmail box and the wikipedia link, and I added the dictionary and free iTunes downloads. All of this will hopefully cut down on a little bit of running around online (for example, I usually just type dictionary.com every time I want to look something up, same with movies). I'm not sure how the service is, because I don't necessarily know where the widgets come from. So I'll see how I like the results.

So, goals for next time:
1) I will change my google.com bookmark at home to igoogle.com and try it out.
2) I will make an effort to add an outside widget to the homepage (I couldn't find where to add html, and my allotted time was running out).

A little simpler this time because I know what I'm doing, it's just to test drive this and see if I like it more pared-down.

0 angry letters: