Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thing 30: Raiders of the Lost Ark

(Note: this will be a 3 part entry, hence the Indiana Jones titles, which was also a trilogy. I may add a fourth joke entry to complement that joke of a 4th movie, but do not hold your breath).

So, as this Thing requires that you have Delicious and/or RSS feeds to make it work, I spent my time today setting this up. I put a few bookmarks into delicious and I'm trying to figure out this "popular" section, although it doesn't actually seem to give you THE most popular followed websites, just some ones the webmaster apparently thought were cool.

This seems to be a problem with a lot of these "Web 2.0" sites. They get so caught up in how you can connect everything to everything else that they make it hard to do basic things by "Web 1.0" standards. And I grew up in web 1.0, so I demand the old stuff, dammit. I don't think it would be that hard to have a way to sort the popular followed websites so I could see what everyone else thinks is cool, but apparently you can only see what is new or what specific people think is best? Also, having your tagged items page called "Inbox" is REALLY confusing, since EVERYWHERE ELSE on the ENTIRE INTERNET uses this name for messages you've received. Who decided this?

Anyway, I will finish fleshing it out and using the RSS at home, then Part 2 will be initial observations on the Thing 30 tools.

PS new profile image, someone else made it so the eye color is wrong but I don't know where she did it and I think it's neat so it stays.

0 angry letters: