Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Things 28 & 29: google wrap up

I gotta say I didn't enjoy this as much as I have been some of the other Things (like Twitter!). I found iGoogle to be the same as it was last time I used it, which is to say it would've been useful if I didn't have all the stuff it offered me already in other areas. It's nice to have everything right there for you, but if I think about wanting movie times or wanting to see what the weather is I can just go to a website for that purpose, instead of changing my homepage from the one I've had for a long time (a comic I like). A lot of the other applications had pretty limited or novelty use, so I just couldn't get myself into it. I could see this being a lot more helpful for people who don't necessarily know a lot of websites with content they might want, or are uncomfortable using search engines. Then they could have everything right where they need it instead of having to search. For me, though, it just wasn't that great.

Google tools, then suffered from the same kind of problem. They're useful little gadgets that can work if you just want basic information, but none of it is necessarily stellar to me as far as calendars, schedulers and etc. I still like some of the "beta" programs, though.

0 angry letters: